The Skin Contact White Wine Category Award celebrates winemakers who use innovative and sustainable practices to produce exceptional skin contact white wines that accentuates the distinct characteristics of the grape varietals used. Through recognizing and celebrating the exceptional achievements of leading producers in this category, the award emphasises the importance of promoting innovation and excellence in the wine industry.
Skin contact white wine has a long history, dating back thousands of years to the earliest days of winemaking. Its production technique involves leaving the grape juice in contact with the grape skins and seeds for an extended period, resulting in a wine with a complex flavour profile and extra depth for a unique sensory experience. It is also called Amber wines because of its wine colour after skin contact. Today, this wine style is experiencing a resurgence in popularity as more and more wine enthusiasts seek out new and exciting flavours and styles.
Join HK IWSC Skin Contact White Wine Category
Why Should Wineries Participate in the Skin Contact Wine Wine Category?
Here are some reasons why wineries should participate in the Skin Contact White Wine Category:
Participating in the Skin Contact White Wine Category can provide wineries with valuable exposure to media and sommeliers in Asia. Winning the award or even being a finalist can help raise awareness of a winery's skin contact white wine offerings and attract new customers.
Wineries can receive valuable unbiaised feedback from judges and industry experts, which can be used to refine their production techniques to make wines suitable for Asian palate
By participating in this category, wineries can elevate their reputation, attract new customers, and demonstrate their commitment to producing high-quality, eco-friendly wines.
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “Having won three trophies in the last four years in different food & wine matching categories at HKIWSC has showcased Pegeric Pinot Noir and its suitability with Asian cuisines leading to its listing with one of Australia’s top restaurant – Melbourne’s iconic Flower Drum.”Chris CormackCEO, Pegeric Wines
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn