HKIWSC Food and Wine Pairing Trophies Announced!
Ahead of the full results and trophy winners release at the HKTDC Hong Kong International Wine & Spirits Fair on 6th November, 2015, the results of the Trophies for Wines Paired with Asian Dishes have been announced. Since the enjoyment of food plays such an important role in the Asian way of life, the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is designed to help consumers enhance their everyday dining experience with perfectly matched wines. This year, the competition teamed up with CP foods, one of Asia’s largest food producers in order to bring new and improved quality dishes to the competition including Thai Green Curry with Pork [Kaeng Khiao Wan], Red Curry with Duck [Kaeng Phet Pet Yang], Steamed Garoupa Fish and Mutton Kebabs. The competition judged wines with 12 dishes from across Asia, ensuring the competition remains truly ‘Asia’s Choice, Asia’s Voice’.
These trophy winners represent the best wine pairings with Asian dishes. Both Pegeric Wines from Australia and GranMonte Co from Thailand managed to impress judges, picking up two trophies each. Pegeric Pinot Noir stormed the Chinese category, with the 2009 scooping the Best Wine with Steamed Garoupa Fish and the 2007 Best Wine with Sweet & Sour Pork.
As competition director Debra Meiburg MW explained to The Drinks Business last year, this is often the most interesting category to judge, as it always throws up some surprising matches. Food and Wine judging at the HKIWSC has, “really shifted pre-conceived notions about what matches best with Asian cuisine,” comments Meiburg. This Red Wine winning the Steamed Garoupa fish trophy proves this theory, once again demonstrating, red wines can pair well with fish.
GranMonte The Orient Syrah won the Best Wine with Gaeng Massaman [Massaman Curry]. Debra Meiburg MW commented on the win “A long-held adage in the wine world is that local wines pair best with local cuisine and this win certainly endorses this view”. GranMonte also won the Best Wine with Grilled Unagi Trophy for their Sakuna Syrah Rose 2015. Another Thai wine to win with a Thai dish is The Monsoon Valley Shiraz 2014 from the Siam Winery Co winning the Best Wine with Kaeng Phet Pet Yan [Duck Red Curry].
The full results will be announced at the HKTDC Hong Kong International Wine & Spirits Fair on 6th November, 2015.
About the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition
Now celebrating its eighth year, Cathay Pacific HKIWSC remains the original and most well-respected wine and spirit competition in Asia. Founded by the Allen Gibbons from the IWSC Group, Debra Meiburg MW and Simon Tam, the competition is regarded as the Asian guide to the world’s finest wine and spirits. With its panel of Asian judges, the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC ensures that, not only are the best wines selected from all across the globe, but that they are suited to Asian taste preferences too.
2015 Wine Paired with Asian Dishes Winners
Best Wine with Kaeng Kari [Yellow Curry with Chicken]
Torlesse Waipara Riesling 2010
Torlesse Wines Ltd
Best Wine with Kaeng Khiao Wan [Thai Green Curry with Pork]
Reginald Moscato Rosso 2015
Richard Buller Wines Pty Ltd
Best Wine with Gaeng Massaman [Massaman Curry]
GranMonte The Orient Syrah 2012
GranMonte Co Ltd
Best Wine with Kaeng Phet Pet Yan [Red Curry with Duck]
Monsoon Valley Shiraz 2014
Siam Winery CO.,LTD
Best Wine with Roasted Suckling Pig [Celebration]
The Ned Pinot Gris 2015
Marisco Vineyards Ltd
Best Wine with Steamed Garoupa Fish [Classic]
Pegeric Pinot Noir 2009
Best Wine with Sweet & Sour Pork [International]
Pegeric Pinot Noir 2007
Best Wine with Hainan Chicken [Lifestyle]
Dickinson Late Harvest 2014
Best Wine with Waygu Beef Teppanyaki [Celebration]
Wooing Tree Pinot Noir 2013
Best Wine with Sashimi [Classic]
Deakin Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2015
Wingara Wine Group (Australia)
Best Wine with Grilled Unagi [Lifestyle]
GranMonte Sakuna Syrah Rosé 2015
GranMonte Co Ltd
Best Wine with Mutton Kebabs [Lifestyle]
Grevino Syrah 2013
For media enquiries, contact:
Event and Competition Manager
Meiburg Wine Media
Tel: +852 2816 1750
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “Having won three trophies in the last four years in different food & wine matching categories at HKIWSC has showcased Pegeric Pinot Noir and its suitability with Asian cuisines leading to its listing with one of Australia’s top restaurant – Melbourne’s iconic Flower Drum.”Chris CormackCEO, Pegeric Wines
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn