HKIWSC Opens 2015 Competition
Asia’s original and premier wine and spirit competition, the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine and Spirit Competition (HKIWSC), has now begun receiving wine and spirit entries. Founded in 2008, the competition was created specifically for the Asian market ensuring winning products cater for Asian taste preferences.
Allen Gibbons, Group Chief Executive of the IWSC Group remarked about the 2015 competition opening:
“Now celebrating our 8th year, the competition continues to go from strength to strength. Drawing on entries from all over the globe, the HKIWSC reflects the importance of Asia to all producers through its gateway, Hong Kong, and showcases some of the finest wines and spirits selected especially for the Asian market.”
The competition boasts an enviable line up of media partners and is delighted to announce two new official media partnerships for 2015: Australian Wine Showcase and Italy's Wine Meridian. Australian Wine Showcase is dedicated to featuring Australian wines for buyers in Asia, Europe, North America, and Australia itself. Key players in the promotion of Italian wines abroad; experts, and top journalists collaborate in Wine Meridian to provide a commentary on wine consumer culture from all around the world.
Each year the competition appoints two International Guest Judges. This year's International Guest Wine Judge is one of the biggest and most influential names in the industry: Neil McGuigan, CEO of Australian Vintage and this year's International Guest Spirit Judge is Richard Paterson, Master Blender at Whyte & Mackay.
Appointed CEO of Australian Vintage in 2010, Neil McGuigan is one of Australia’s foremost winemakers and brings over 30 years’ experience in the wine industry to Australian Vintage and McGuigan Wines.
The consolidated shipping option which launched last year with our partner Hellmann Beverage Logistics is back by popular demand and in place for 2015. Producers from selected countries can take advantage of the opportunity to ship their products to the competition’s cellars at a special discounted rate.
Debra Meiburg MW, HKIWSC Director, commented on the launch of the 2015 competition:
“We received more entries from more countries than ever before in 2014 and I’m delighted that this year’s HKIWSC is now open for entries. I’m especially pleased that Neil McGuigan is on board as International Guest Wine Judge as the depth of knowledge and experience he will bring is invaluable.”
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn