Rebecca Leung AIWS Announced as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC's Young Communicator of the Year Award Winner
(6 November 2014) Asia’s original and premier wine and spirit competition, the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine and Spirit Competition (HKIWSC), announces the 2014 Young Communicator of the Year as Rebecca Leung AIWS.
Rebecca is the founder of the renowned “Wine is Beautiful” blog and writes regularly for publications including: the Hong Kong Economic Journal, Wine Now Magazine, Hong Kong Economic Times, Cru Magazine, and Vino Vogue (China).
In addition to her work as a wine writer, Leung is also a host on radio shows and sits on the judging panel of international wine competitions, as well as working as an independent wine educator and consultant.
The award was created in 2013 to recognise and reward an Asian-based individual who has made a marked impact in the communication of wines and/or spirits in their country in the preceding 12 months.
Judges were impressed with the breadth of Rebecca’s wine-related activities and her flair and commitment to promoting a culture of wine appreciation across Hong Kong and China. “Rebecca actively promotes wine culture via a range of Greater China media, including her popular blog, video posts, social media following, radio show, newspaper and magazine contributions”, commented the judges.
Now celebrating its sixth year, the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC remains the original and most well-respected wine and spirit competition in Asia. Founded by the IWSC Group, Debra Meiburg MW and Simon Tam, the competition is regarded as the Asian guide to the world’s finest wine and spirits. With its panel of Asian judges, the HKIWSC ensures that not only are the best wines selected from all across the globe, but that they are suited to Asian taste preferences too.
Upon receiving the award Rebecca commented: "I am greatly humbled and honored to be receiving this award. I would like to offer my sincerest gratitude to the judges who have selected me for this honor. I love wine, I always enjoy tasting it, but what I enjoy the most is the wonderful pleasure of communicating it with people. Through writing, broadcasting and hosting talks about wine, I can share the joy and interesting experiences with my readers and audiences, and most important of all, I am able to learn more from others when hearing their feedback, as I believe everyone has a special palate for wine and food. I will continue to work hard in wine journalism and wine culture promotion. Thank you very, very much."
Debra Meiburg MW, HKIWSC Director, commented on the results:
“It was fantastic to see more countries participating than ever before, with products entered from over 35 countries. The judges were impressed with the quality of products submitted and especially delighted to see the addition of the Sake category this year. The Trophy winner, Kowa Inc with their Futaributai Junmai Daiginjo, I know will be delighted.”
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “Having won three trophies in the last four years in different food & wine matching categories at HKIWSC has showcased Pegeric Pinot Noir and its suitability with Asian cuisines leading to its listing with one of Australia’s top restaurant – Melbourne’s iconic Flower Drum.”Chris CormackCEO, Pegeric Wines
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn