Tue 3 Sep 2013
Test Your Palate Wine Tasting Event
‘Test your Palate’ Wine Tasting Event returns to Hong Kong for 3rd year
October 2-4, 2013
‘Test your Palate’ Wine Tasting Event is back by popular demand after an overwhelmingly successful debut in 2011, and follow up event in 2012.
This is not just your average wine tasting event. At ‘Test Your Palate’, wine lovers, wine novices, and industry professionals alike are invited to pitch their tasting skills against seasoned experts at this world renowned wine tasting event, taking place at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre (HKCEC) from October 2-4. The event runs in parallel to the 2013 Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine and Spirit Competition, which celebrates its fifth year.
Members of the public can taste and compare wines and varietals entered into the world’s first truly Asian wine competition, which attracted over 1,800 entries last year.
Titled “Asia’s Choice, Asia’s Voice”, the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine and Spirit Competition uniquely judges wines and spirits from around the world for their appeal to the Asian market and palate. Top judges come from all corners of Asia for the judging in Hong Kong, ensuring that the HKIWSC awards are truly suited to the tastes of Asia. At the public tastings, held on three consecutive evenings, wine enthusiasts can compare their opinions with those of our official judging panels of Asia’s most esteemed wine and spirits experts.
‘Test Your Palate’ gives you the opportunity to taste wines from popular regions, spanning from Barossa to Bordeaux. Many wines entered into the competition are new products, so be there first hand to sample new entries into the market from across the globe. The event allows you to improve your wine knowledge, learn about different grapes, and compare diverse styles. It is the chance to test your own palate against the industry’s very best, the judges of this year’s Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine and Spirit Competition.
Day passes to the open wine tastings from October 2-4 at the HKCEC’s Chancellor Room are priced HK$250 and three-day passes are HK$700, at Hong Kong Ticketing (www.hkticketing.com).
A complimentary Lucaris crystal wine glass (worth HK$110) is available to ticket holders (while stocks last).
Competition Director and Master of Wine Debra Meiburg said: “Our public tastings are a unique opportunity for Hong Kong wine lovers to get personally involved in this competition designed to evolve the culture of wine appreciation in Asia and help consumers to easily select wines they are sure to enjoy.”
“Wines are lined up in exactly the same format as in the judging room. Attendees can choose the ones they want to taste, or taste an entire flight in a category, such as Cabernet Sauvignons or Barberas from around the world.”
Mr. Simon Tam, the Competition’s co-Director, said: “It is rare for the wine-loving public to share the same daunting challenge as experienced experts, tasting and evaluating so many diverse wines from around the world – extending from popular regions like the Barossa and Bordeaux to yet-to-be discovered regions from Georgia to Mexico.”
“Visitors can compare diverse wine styles from Chablis to Napa oaked Chardonnay, and learn about less familiar grape varieties like Albarino and Zinfandel.”
The public can purchase tickets at any Hong Kong Ticketing box office, Hong Kong Ticketing Hotline or HK Ticketing website. Buy now and experience this unique event.
The official Competition website is at: www.hkiwsc.com.
The ‘Test Your Palate’ website is at:http://hkiwsc.com/testyourpalate
Hong Kong Ticketing Box Offices: Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, The Academy’s Landmark Heritage Campus –Bethanie, Fringe Club, AsiaWorld-Expo, Kowloon Bay International Trade & Exhibition Centre and K11 Select, as well as Tom Lee Music Stores.
Hong Kong Ticketing Hotline: 852 31 288 288 (from 10am to 8pm daily)
Hong Kong Ticketing Website: www.hkticketing.com
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “Having won three trophies in the last four years in different food & wine matching categories at HKIWSC has showcased Pegeric Pinot Noir and its suitability with Asian cuisines leading to its listing with one of Australia’s top restaurant – Melbourne’s iconic Flower Drum.”Chris CormackCEO, Pegeric Wines
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn