Winners Story: Q & A with Kavalan
We caught up with the team at Kavalan King Car, to find out what success at the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine and Spirit Competition has meant to them...
Tell us about your winning spirits (Kavalan brands)
King Car Kavalan Whisky is a Malt Whisky produced in Taiwan. The Kavalan distillery was established in the Yilan Plain in December 2005, a unique location with abundant supply of cold spring water flowing through the Snow Mountain. 2008 was a milestone year, marking the opening of the distillery’s Visitor Centre, and the launch of the first bottle of Kavalan Whisky in December. “Kavalan” is named after the earliest tribe to inhabit in Yilan and represents sincerity, honesty, and the spirit of step-by-step cultivation
Kavalan Whisky first participated in the International Wine and Spirit Competition, and was awarded with its first medal, ‘Silver-Best in Class’. In 2009 Kavalan Podium Single Malt Whisky, and Sherry Oak Single Malt Whisky were released into the market. They were prized with 2010 and 2011 WWA “Best Rest of the World Single Malt Whisky” respectively. Solist Fino, Solist Vinho, and Concertmaster Single Malt Whisky were added to the Kavalan Range successively from 2010 to 2011.
There are now ten Kavalan Whiskies in the market, and have successfully entered the superior spirits market as they have been awarded 50 gold medals collectively. The Kavalan Distillery did not only win the Icons of Whisky, “Visitor Attraction of the Year” in 2011 and 2013, but also the IWSC Trophy for “Asia Pacific Spirit Producer of the Year” for two consecutive years in 2011 and 2012. King Car upholds the requirements for quality and attention to detail. With the advantage of geographical environment, it has cultivated the “water of life” that belongs to Yilan, Taiwan.
Tell us about your success at the HKIWSC:
2012 was the first year Kavalan entered the HKIWSC and won the following medals:
Why is it important for you to enter this competition?
In recent years, Hong Kong has shown significant growth in the spirit consumption market. Along with the progressive initiatives of the government(abolition of tax duty on wine in 2008) and the Hong Kong Trade Development Council’s reach across the globe, Hong Kong is expected to become the future world hub for spirits. By virtue its unique location and spirits market potential, we hope our participation in the HKIWSC can expand the Kavalan brand’s reputation and value in the region, and globally.
Which is your biggest market and why?
Europe is our largest market at the moment because Europeans love Kavalan whiskies’ aroma and taste.
How do you publicize your winning wine/spirit?
Kavalan is currently adopting marketing strategies to actively participate in relevant overseas wine shows, wine tastings, lectures, and promoting the brand and award-winning achievements. Kavalan also endorses its image indirectly through our official website, brochures, posters, etc.
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “Having won three trophies in the last four years in different food & wine matching categories at HKIWSC has showcased Pegeric Pinot Noir and its suitability with Asian cuisines leading to its listing with one of Australia’s top restaurant – Melbourne’s iconic Flower Drum.”Chris CormackCEO, Pegeric Wines
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn