|Position||Group Premium Winemaker Australia/New Zealand|
Born in Gawler, on the edge of the Barossa Valley, Craig grew up with the wine industry all around him. He started as a cellar hand with B Seppelt & Sons; Son in 1983, firstly at Chateau Tanunda and then later at historic Seppeltsfield Winery.
Craig joined Grant Burge Wines in 1993 as Assistant Winemaker, Winemaker in 1995 and Senior Winemaker in 1997 and continued that role until 2019. In 2019 Craig took on the role of Group Premium Winemaker within Accolade Wines, this has allowed winemaking experience in multiple Australian regions including McLaren Vale, Coonawarra, Adelaide Hills, Yarra Valley as well as regions within Western Australia to Tasmania.
Craig is highly regarded for his talent, strong leadership, inquisitive mind, and unrelenting passion for winemaking.
Craig is renowned for his contribution to some of Australia’s most respected wines – Meshach, The Holy Trinity, Shadrach, the highly regarded Filsell. He is justifiably proud of their development and has crafted a solid reputation for excellence and conveying the true values of the Barossa.
A passionate ambassador for the Barossa and proud to serve on the Barossa Wine Show Committee for 10 years as well as being a part of the inaugural Barossa Technical committee. He also had the honor of being named Barossa Winemaker of the year in 2014.
Craig travels internationally for the company promoting the values and messages which have made our Australian regions famous. Being a vineyard owner as well as winemaker, Craig knows the nuances of the region intimately, the seasons, the soil, the varieties and is committed to maintaining the healthy environment to hand to future generations. His involvement with the company’s viticultural team is greatly respected, where his knowledge transfers to influencing the management of each year’s harvest.
Craig’s discerning palate earned him a role as a panelist and judge on the Barossa Wine Show, National Wine Show, Australia Greatest Red and as a tasting panelist for the Australian Research Institute.
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn