Debra Meiburg MW
A Hong Kong resident for more than 30 years, Master of Wine Debra Meiburg is an award-winning author, TV personality and international speaker, and is widely considered the global authority on the Asian wine market. She is founding director of Meiburg Wine Media, Asia’s leading wine marketing agency, and MWM Wine School, by Debra Meiburg MW – Hong Kong’s premier wine school in Wong Chuk Hang, offering WSET courses and a variety of educational wine courses and workshops. She is also wine consultant for Cathay Pacific Airways and Cathay Dragon, and holds the position of Chair of the Education Committee for the Institute of Masters of Wine.
Debra is producer and host of several documentaries and TV shows, including Taste the Wine which is broadcast in 26 countries, Grape Moments, a video series broadcast via taxis to 70 million monthly viewers in China, and the online video series Meet the Winemaker. She has a monthly column in the South China Morning Post, among other publications, judges several wine competitions annually and is founding director of the world’s first truly pan-Asian wine competition, the Cathay Hong Kong International Wine and Spirit Competition.
A former wine professor at the Rochester Institute of Technology in New York and an always passionate educator, Debra’s suite of award-winning wine educational books and tools are currently distributed on four continents, and her five-volume book series, Debra Meiburg’s Guide to the Asian Wine Trade, and conferences series Wine in China and Wine SPIT have firmly established her as champion of the Asian wine trade.
Debra’s string of accolades includes: Entrepreneur of the Year (Women of Influence) by the South China Morning Post & the American Chamber of Commerce; 7th Most Powerful Woman in Wine by The Drinks Business magazine; the China Power List Award by WINE Magazine (China); and the Il Premio Internazionale (Vinitaly International Award).
The Conversion Group
Constantly growing and building, The Conversion Group is a globally recognised organisation operating in the luxury lifestyle and creative space. Our exciting portfolio of brands encompasses a broad selection of wine and spirits businesses, including the luxury wine, spirit and lifestyle brand Club Oenologique, the IWSC, Fine+Rare Wines, Académie du Vin Library. To find out more, go to theconversiongrp.com
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn