|Company||Noah’s Yacht Club On the Bund|
Christian Zhang is the Chief Sommelier of Noah’s Yacht Club On the Bund, Shanghai in charge of the club’s wine cellar. He has worked in the hotel F&B industry for nine years and was named by Drinks Business as one of the Top 10 Chinese Sommeliers to Watch in 2016. His work experience includes helping top hotel brands launch in China, including the Amanfayun luxury boutique resort, Hangzhou, the JW Marriott, Hangzhou, and the Park Hyatt, Ningbo. Christian has won numerous accolades, the most recent include: the 2017 winner of Easescent China Wine Blind Tasting Competition and the 2017 winner of the Best Candian Sommelier Competition in Greater China, the 2016 winner of SIWC China Wine Blind Tasting Competition, the 2016 winner of China’s Best Sommelier Competition of French Wines, the 2015 winner of the China National Sommelier Competition, the 2015 winner of Thirsty Thursday Australian Blind Tasting Competition, the 2014 winner of the Best Australian Sommelier in China, and the 2013 winner of the Best South Africa Sommelier Competition in China.
"2018 is a milestone for the HK IWSC as it celebrates its 10th anniversary. I hope to contribute to the promotion of this competition’s influence and prestige to wine lovers in the mainland.
My favourite part of judging is the food & wine pairing section as it is a unique chance to see how both food and wine work together. When we find the perfect match, it is like a “firework” in the night sky.
We need to find out our own standpoint in the world of wine and HK IWSC helps us to navigate that."
MWM Wine School
Hong Kong Maritime Museum
Test Your Palate
Sake Central (S109-S113, Block A, PMQ, 35 Aberdeen Street, Central, Hong Kong)
Restaurant and Bar HK
Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre
Women of Wine Festival
HKEX Connect Hall
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “Having won three trophies in the last four years in different food & wine matching categories at HKIWSC has showcased Pegeric Pinot Noir and its suitability with Asian cuisines leading to its listing with one of Australia’s top restaurant – Melbourne’s iconic Flower Drum.”Chris CormackCEO, Pegeric Wines
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn