Asian Food Pairing
- The only international wine competition to offer a full program of Asian food and wine pairing awards, including sake
- Unique PR and exposure opportunities for winners throughout the year
- Winners published in leading “foodie” guides in Asia
A unique opportunity to win medals and showcase your wines and sake to Asia’s thriving dining scene. A brief description of each dish are given below, along with some wine pairing “tips” – note these are just suggestions!
The judging of the Asian Food & Wine Pairing category (which inludes sake) follows the same format as the wine and spirit categories.
Stir-fried String Beans with Ground Pork
Stir-fried string beans and ground pork, with soy sauce, garlic and mild chili
Chicken Lettuce Wrap
Stir-fried ground chicken with diced assorted vegetables, wrapped in fresh lettuce leaves and served with hoisin sauce
Grilled Minced Chicken Skewer (Yakitori Tsukune | 焼き鳥つくね)
Grilled chicken meatballs made with ground chicken, soft bones, green scallions, shisho leaves, white miso and sesame oil. Served with an egg yolk in a sake-based lightly sweetened, yet savory, yakitori sauce
Grilled Beef Tongue with Garlic (Kushiyaki | 牛タンガーリック)
Grilled, skewered ox tongue, seasoned with salt and pepper, served with Japanese mustard
C) Other Asian
Indian Lamb Seekh Kebab
A mixture of ground lamb, minced onion, mint, cilantro, ginger paste and chili paste, marinated with cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne and salt, barbecued on a skewer. Served with mixed salad and mint sauce.
Thai Pomelo Salad (Yum Som O)
Refreshing salad of pomelo, shredded coconut, peanuts, shrimps, shallots and fresh herbs tossed in a lime and savoury sauce.
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “Having won three trophies in the last four years in different food & wine matching categories at HKIWSC has showcased Pegeric Pinot Noir and its suitability with Asian cuisines leading to its listing with one of Australia’s top restaurant – Melbourne’s iconic Flower Drum.”Chris CormackCEO, Pegeric Wines
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn